It’s summer time and is the season for the family vacation. This means packing the suitcases, and loading them into trunk or roof racks and piling into the car and heading to a destination that will hopefully provide a lifetime worth of fond memories. Summer time also means cooling off in a distant water hole and this is why planning your vacation around a Sea-Doo Road Trip offers the best of everything for watersport lovers.
In this blog we’re going to provide you five tips to make your Sea-Doo Road Trip a fun and safe one and provide you with five fabulous destinations across North America.
SEA-DOO ROAD TRIP TIPS:
- FULL POWER. Your fun can only start if your Sea-Doo does and giving your watercraft a simple test start can check this. If your battery is weak, put it on an automatic battery charger (available from a BRP dealer – BRP part # 529 035 773) overnight and by sunrise you should be at full power.
- CLEAN IT AND COVER IT. The last thing you want is for your riding gear to get all dirty because your watercraft is dirty. Clean your Sea-Doo with proper detergent and water and wipe the vinyl with quality cleaning products (such as XPS PWC cleaning and detailing kit – BRP part # 219 701 709). After you clean it cover it with a custom fitted Sea-Doo cover to help keep road grime off of it during the trip.
- CHECK YOUR RIDING GEAR. Kids grow fast and the Sea-Doo PFD that they wore last summer might be difficult to buckle this summer. Or if your newfound exercise program helped you lose the extra 20 pounds you have wanted to lose, you may consider purchasing a new Sea-Doo PFD in your new size. Your Sea-Doo PFD should be snug but also allow comfortable movement while riding and proper buoyancy while in the water.
- FILL’ER UP. Be sure to fill your Sea-Doo watercraft with quality fuel at your local filling station specifically if you are travelling to a remote area where the fuel may not be as fresh. This will also aid in towing as your trailer will tow smoother from the slight increase in trailer tongue weight. (Refer to the trailer manufacturer’s suggested weight distribution for optimal towing)
- TRAILER CHECKUP. Consider your trailer the cradle for your Sea-Doo watercraft as they most likely spend more time on the trailer than in the water. The trailer is what ultimately allows you to take your Sea-Doo watercraft from point A to point B.
Check your tires tread wear and air pressure to ensure they are ready for the trip and to ensure maximum fuel efficiency while towing. Also check your wheel bearings to ensure they are tight and lubricated. This is an element you should have a professional check as a bearing failure can cause problems put a major delay on your vacation plans. Last, check that all of your trailer lights work properly including; running lights, turn signals and brake lights. If you have an issue in this area check the vehicle-to-trailer connection and your vehicles fuses and trailer light bulbs.
Now that you are ready go, where are you going to go? Here are five of our favorite destinations for all-around Sea-Doo family fun.
- LAKE KEOWEE, SOUTH CAROLINA
LAKE KEOWEE SUNSET
This gem of a lake offers a touch of the Smokey Mountains in the midst of southern hospitality as it sits on the western side of South Carolina close to Clemson University. The mornings will offer banks of water-level clouds and glass calm waters with vistas of the foothills of the nearby mountain ranges. With dozens of coves, don’t forget your wakeboard or wakeskate as the lake never gets very busy and you can escape for hours of water shred sessions.
Lake Keowee is located with-in 500 miles of 50% of the US population making easy to get to with-in a days drive for many. The rental homes and/or waterfront condos are plentiful in the summer and the water is clean and warm. With several public launches and parks combined with numerous marinas with fuel and a few on-water restaurants, Lake Keowee offers a very fun and affordable family get-away.
- LAKE HAVASU CITY, ARIZONA
The London Bridge at Lake Havasu City, Arizona
If there is one location worthy of a Sea-Doo pilgrimage, it’s Lake Havasu, Arizona. Longtime home to the annual International Jet Sports Boating Association World Finals, Havasu is the epicenter of the PWC universe every October as racers and their fans from countries far and wide descend upon its sunny shores to do battle in this picturesque lake on the Colorado River.
Havasu has a unique history. The city was developed by chainsaw magnate Robert McCulloch, who literally purchased the London Bridge and transported it, block by block, from England to Arizona to serve as the city’s focal point. Visitors can now visit the bridge above by road, or below by boat, navigating the canal McCulloch had dredged for this very purpose.
The fun, however, shouldn’t just be confined to the city limits. Bring your Sea-Doo, or rent one if you have to, and venture north along the Colorado River to the scenic cliffs of Topock Gorge.
OKANAGAN VALLEY, CANADA
We’ll spare you the Great White North jokes. Canada would seemingly get more attention from the Ski-Doo crowd than their Sea-Doo counterparts. But those who dismiss the country based on its snowy rep are missing out on some truly beautiful watercraft riding. And perhaps no area epitomizes Canada’s watery beauty better than the Okanagan Valley, a picturesque setting located halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
Home to the massive Okanagan Lake, as well as 200 smaller lakes scattered throughout the region, the Okanagan Valley is found within the Interior Plateau of British Columbia. With the majestic Coast Mountains blocking the flow of moist air from the west, summers are — surprise! — actually warm and dry, the perfect weather for enjoying your Sea-Doo.
Looking for things to do off the water? The area features numerous hiking and biking trails. Those looking for a more relaxing pursuit will want to plan a visit to one of the countless wineries that occupy the bluffs bordering the lake
- THE FLORIDA KEYS
The Florida Keys
The Florida Keys offers the closest experience to being in the Caribbean with out actually leaving the US. Upon entering Key Largo you will officially be on island time as the string of “keys” stretches 120-miles into the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico with each surrounded by epic aqua colored water. It’s no coincidence so many boat companies including BRP conduct their product photo shoots in the keys as it is a true boaters paradise.
The bay side of the keys offers more protected waters perfect for the Sea-Doo Spark and GTI models and for wake sports but be sure to be considerate of the local fisherman hunting bonefish, tarpon and snook on the back waters. For trips on the ocean side, a Sea-Doo GTX or RXT model would be ideal for charging through the wind chop in comfort with a storage bin full of snorkel gear to dive the miles of living reefs that rest roughly 2-4 miles from the shoreline.
From Key Largo to Key West there are plenty of hotel, restaurants and shopping opportunities. There area also a plethora of rental homes for larger vacationing parties and for campers we suggest Long Key State Park at roughly the half way point down highway US 1 at mile-marker 67.5.
- TRAVERSE CITY, MICHIGAN
TRAVERSE CITY, MICHIGAN
On the eastern shores of Lake Michigan is the destination area of northern Michigan with the epicenter being Traverse City. Traverse City is a quant Great Lakes area lakeside town with a welcoming little downtown area filled with restaurants and shops while full-scale resorts lie with-in miles of the city center. Water is not in short demand in this area and is a haven for Sea-Doo owners looking to ride in new waters.
While Sea-Doo riding opportunities are plentiful near Traverse City, hundreds of lakes are with in an hour drive of the city. If you are looking for crystal clear aqua colored waters you don’t have to go to the Florida Keys to get it, visit popular Torch Lake, roughly 45 minutes from Traverse City. The lakes water is truly magical as the sun pierces the water and reflects off of the white sand bottom that could easily be mistaken for the waters of the Caribbean or Tahiti, but with out the salt and a bit cooler.
As a destination location the area is very seasonal with hundreds of accommodation options and entertainment off of the water with go cart tracks, mini golf for the kids and countless 36-hole golf course for the adults. The areas geographic latitude provides long summer days that stretch sunsets to 10PM allowing maximum fun time on the water.
One of the many advantages of owning a Sea-Doo watercraft is the ease of use and they provide one more entertainment piece for your family to build many memories of a lifetime.